Shared Ownership Valuations

A Shared Equity valuation,  otherwise known as a Shared Ownership valuation, needs to be carried out by an RICS Registered valuer. This is to provide a market value for the sale or purchase, of your percentage share in your property.

Shared Ownership schemes are likely to be managed and owned by a Housing Association. On this basis when you consider re-selling the property it should be considered that your share in your home will have to be offered to the Housing Association first. It may be that the Housing Association does not wish to acquire your percentage, but in most cases the Housing Association will also have a right to offer your property for sale.

If it is your intention to move home, then prior to any form of marketing, it would be advisable to contact the Housing Association first. This is so they can advise you on your next steps.

Whether there is an option for the Housing Association to purchase your share, or they require a certain time period to consider selling the property, it is likely you will need to have a valuation. This needs to be carried out by an independent RICS surveyor. 

This is known as a Shared Equity valuation or a Shared Ownership valuation. The valuation will be to determine 100% of the market value and from this the worth of the different shares can be calcualted. 

Most Housing Associations have some very specific rules regarding the valuation process.  For example, some of the Shared Equity valuations we have carried out,  have required us to disregard any improvements made to the property, since it was originally acquired.

Other Shared Equity valuations, request specific information,  provided by the surveyor, regarding comparable evidence and the details within the valuation report. In most cases, Housing Associations will require the RICS surveyor to be registered and for the firm is regulated by the RICS directly. As a firm we are regulated by RICS and all of our surveyors are RICS registered. 

Ideally, you will need to provide the surveyor with specific information, regarding your lease length remaining, as well as any associated charges, such as ground rent, service charge, building maintenance, insurance, etc.

The comparable evidence the surveyor will compile should relate to properties of a similar style, layout and accommodation. As well as, be of a similar age and all having recorded sales evidence within the lasty 12 months. The  more specific details of what the surveyor requires, should be determined prior to the inspection.

The Shared Equity valuation will be provided to you in a PDF format and will be written to adress the Housing Association itself. This again will need to be confirmed to the surveyor, so that the report is not rejected at a later date. Once you have received the Shared Equity valuation, you will need to provide this to the Housing Association, along with any necessary documentation.

Once your valuation is agreed, the specific process relating to that Housing Associations policy on buyback or marketing directly, will need to be confirmed. It is likely that if the property remains unsold over the required marketing time, then you will be given the opportunity to market the property directly yourselves.

As a company have specialised in providing Shared Equity and Shared Ownership valuations alongside our Help to Buy Valuations and we cover a large geographical area throughout the South West of England.

Bristol Office

Henleaze Business Centre,
13 Harbury Road, Henleaze,
Bristol BS9 4PN
Tel: 01172 872199

Exeter Office

First Floor, 3-4 Cranmere Court
March Barton
Tel: 01392 984364

Taunton Office

Bridge House,
7 Bridge Street
Taunton TA1 1TG
Tel: 01823 765057

Plymouth Office

24-26 George Place
Tel: 01752 936567

London Office

56 Gloucester Road
London SW7 4UB
Tel: 020 3633 2515

Need a helping hand?

Click here to contact us today for more information on Shared Ownership Valuations.